Six Tips For Decreasing Your Chances of Hair Loss
Losing hair is a traumatic event for all who go through it. There are a myriad of reasons that hair loss can occur, but that is of little solace for those who must deal with it. However, caring for hair properly can decrease the chances of hair loss for anyone. The article below contains tips to help you keep your healthy head of hair.
1. The foods you eat play a huge role in the health of your hair. Foods high in sugar, salt and fat can take their toll on your scalp. An unhappy scalp is likely to shed its hair. Replace a hair-zapping diet with foods rich in protein, iron and omega-3 fatty acids. Fresh fish like salmon and tuna are good examples of the latter. Stripping your diet of alcohol and caffeine is also a good idea.
2. Wash your hair daily with a gentle shampoo and conditioner, and avoid other hair products if possible. Gels, mousses and sprays can all be brutal to hair, causing it damage and even stunting its growth. The less chemically manufactured products you use on your hair, the better off it will be and the more likely it will be to stick around.
3. Limit your use of hair appliances. This includes blow dryers, curling irons, crimping irons, straightening irons and hot rollers. Too much heat is disastrous for the hair and scalp. If you must blow your hair dry, towel-dry it first, and then only blow dry it partially, allowing the rest to dry naturally. If you are concerned about having wet hair and heading off to the workplace, start washing your hair at night to eliminate this problem. Just make sure to do it early enough so that it will dry before you turn in for the night.
4. Massage your scalp regularly. Massaging the scalp stimulates hair follicles, and hair follicles need stimulation to remain healthy. This practice has added benefits, as it can also help to relieve headaches and tension.
5. Get enough sleep. The importance of this cannot be stressed enough. Sleep really is the best prevention and healer of so many things, and hair loss is no exception. You are a lot more likely to experience hair loss if you aren’t getting the amount of sleep that your body needs.
6. Steer clear of damaging hair procedures like perms, colorings and the application of extensions. These commonly offered services from your hairdresser can wreak havoc on your hair, and leave it thin and lifeless. That, in turn, can promote its loss. Also, if you’re already experiencing hair loss, these procedures will rapidly accelerate the process.
Those are some of the ways that you can care for your hair so that you keep it for a good, long time. Doing these things is no guarantee that you will never experience the trauma of hair loss, but they can greatly increase your chances of maintaining a lush head of hair. Introduce these tips into your life slowly if necessary. Get used to one before implementing another. Soon, they will all be second nature to you.